Friday, September 10, 2010
Bhutan: three weeks since arrival
A quick +/- post as inspired by Lara
- I’m enjoying shopping for fabrics for my new Bhutan dress code wardrobe! Blog post to come!
- I love being surrounded by green slopes at all times in the city.
- People see me on the street in local dress and they stare for several moments… then eventually give me a slow, wide smile. Sweet.
- I’m starting to recognize people around town other than my co-workers.
- Have I told you lately how much I love cheese momos with eezay?
- Not only is health care free in Bhutan but the prescriptions are free, too, even for foreign visitors!
- My apartment has cable TV, about 25 channels mostly from India. I watched a lot of TV when I was sick. It’s fascinating to watch shows, movies and especially ads from a country I have never been to. The ads for products I cannot recognize, referring to social customs I’m unaware of and featuring mega-celebs I’ve never seen before – these ones shake me up and remind me of how much I don’t know about the world.
- After living in a basement for 16 months, I am so delighted to have a view!
- My furnished apartment was furnished with bed bugs.
- Related: I am covered with insect bites, either mosquito or bed bug.
- I seem to have popped my jaw in a weird way because my teeth can no longer bite together.
- I often feel my heart racing at times even when I’m at rest. I wonder if this is a normal part of moving from an altitude of 150 m a.s.l. to over 2300 m a.s.l. Will this gradually stop?
- The bureaucratic hurdles are rather exhausting. My banking issues are presently being turned into a newspaper article.
- All the smoking in the office is very unpleasant. I thought cigarettes were banned in Bhutan!
- I miss high quality baked goods. And boneless chicken. And spinach salad. And good chocolate.
- I owe e-mails to, like, everybody especially my best friends and co-workers. Big apologies.
Update! Local experts tell me that I probably don't have bed bugs but that the bites are probably from fleas! I don't know if this is better or worse. Also, although I included several things on the MINUS list, overall I'm definitely enjoying my time here.